Sopranos vs Boardwalk Empire

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Sopranos vs Boardwalk Empire

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have never watched a single episode of The Sopranos, however, I did read about the final scene and even watched just those few minutes.  I got interested in Boardwalk Empire based on the previews I saw, as well as a couple of quick reviews, but the fact that it’s based in Atlantic City, NJ was the biggest draw.  NJ being my home state, the historical aspects definitely intrigued me.  I watched the entire first season already and rather enjoyed it.

However, I read an article which said something along the line of “Boardwalk Empire is the new Sopranos.”  I’ve never really been into mob movies, but I do enjoy historical dramas.

Has anyone watched both of these shows?  Is the comparison valid or out there in left field?  Ever so slightly, I’m wondering if I might have actually enjoyed The Sopranos.  Personally, if I were to make a comparison right now, I’d say that Boardwalk Empire is a serious version of Johnny Dangerously (which I still love to this day).

swoon

I watched most of The Sopranos. I can’t answer your question directly as I have not seen Boardwalk Empire. With respect to the Sopranos, I think of it as a strong character-based drama where the characters happen to be involved in mob activities. In other words, it’s more about the human experience than it is about the mob per se. 

Mike Garcen

i watched every episode of both, and was a huge fan. As with any drama the characters are usually as focused and detailed as the story line itself. Boardwalk is set in a completely different time, with a different angle as far as it’s “mob” relationships versus sopranos. I think Sopranos was much more violent, but that was so long ago it’s tough to remember–it’s not like spartacus 🙂

I think if you like Boardwalk you would like Sopranos, except for the finale which sucked.

Personally i liked Sopranos better than Boardwalk if only because James Gandolfini is SO GREAT in his role as the boss.

jennyfur

I’m a fan of and have watched all of both shows as well, and don’t think there’s any comparison to be made. The only thing both of these shows have in common is mobsters. That being said, I still recommend you go back and watch Sopranos since it’s likely you would enjoy it as well, but it definitely is a different type of show than Boardwalk. Mike summed it up pretty well.

Unrelated side note: I was in Atlantic City a few weeks ago and stayed at Resorts, which is totally milking the popularity of Boardwalk Empire. They re-branded the whole place with a 20’s era theme (though I believe Resorts was actually built in the 20s). The valets and bellhops have awesome outfits 😉

skirge01

Thanks for the info.  It sounds like I should check out The Sopranos when I get a chance.  These are the shows my wife won’t take the time to even see if she’ll like them, so I watch these after she goes to bed (Boardwalk Empire, SG, Spartacus–yeah, SG doesn’t seem to belong in this list).

I think Aaron’s reply said it best, especially considering he hasn’t seen Boardwalk Empire.  That’s pretty much how I would describe that show, as well.  It’s more character driven.  What really matters is what each person is up to and how they got to where they are in life.  For example, I think that the very demure Mrs. Margaret Schroeder is going to become a powerful woman and will use that power in not quite so valiant ways.

swoon

The depth of exploration of Tony Soprano was really refreshing. He’s an extremely interesting character and just so happens to be involved in a life of crime for his occupation. I don’t really want to say too much about it because it sounds like you’ll really enjoy the journey and I don’t want to spoil.

mikinho

[quote=Mike Garcen]

I think Sopranos was much more violent, but that was so long ago it’s tough to remember–it’s not like spartacus 🙂

[/quote]

Is anything violent in comparison to Spartacus?

I have nothing of value to add here…never watched Sopranos and just too many seasons to invest the time in it

PAPutzback

I think Sopranos was good until around the 4th season. About the time Michael and the other gangster lost the Russian in the woods.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.