SOLVED: Is it possible to Remote Desktop my WHS 2011

Home Forums Home Theater Computers SOLVED: Is it possible to Remote Desktop my WHS 2011

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone. Quick question. I want to remote desktop my server. I tried the remote web access feature and it doesn’t show the computer running WHS 2011. I want to be able to use my laptop, to see the server’s desktop, download software from the internet, and install software, etc. all on the server.

Does anyone know how to do this?

A user in this MSFT forum recommended changing the Registry but I can’t tell if he means the registry on the server or on the laptop connecting via remote web access. I am also uncomfortable messing around with the registry. 

Thank you in advance.

John

Mike Garcen

absolutely. unless i’m misreading something. You can easily remote desktop into your WHS2011 box on your network. You don’t need any registry modifications.

In fact, i’m pretty sure it’s enabled by default, if not click on Start > Right Click My Computer > Properties > Remote Settings > Remote Desktop > Allow Connections

Then just launch the Remote Desktop client on your laptop, and put in your server name. Now note, i had issues getting my server friendly name to appear, so i ended up having to use the local ip address – so 192.168.1.5

RehabMan

It has to be enabled by default.  The Dashboard app (that you run from the client) is actually a remote desktop app.

Aaron Ledger

You should certainly be able to log in as Administrator. You should also be able to use the computer name or IP address like Mike pointed out.

RehabMan

Note that if you are trying to remote desktop to your server over the internet (not on your LAN) you will have additional setup to do.  Specifically, you’ll have to open the ports on your router that MS uses for RDP and forward them to the IP address that is your server (good idea to use static IP on your LAN or DHCP reservations).  I think it is TCP port 4125 but that is going from memory…

You will also have to use a dyanamic DNS service such as the one provided by default with yourhomeserver.homeserver.com, or some other compatible service.

dbocce3

Thank you everyone for your help. I was able to connect just as Mike said. You guys are always amazing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.