SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Pre-Order for $202…Maybe, via Amazon

Home Forums Hot Deals SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Pre-Order for $202…Maybe, via Amazon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Garcen
    Participant

Now take this with a grain of salt. There’s a very active thread going on at FW debating the validity of the HDHomeRun PRIME Tuner which Amazon.com has for pre-order.

Now, some suspicious things here. First, There doesn’t appear to be a product page, but you can add it to the cart. Second, someone posted a chat with SiliconDust where they claim that Amazon.com is not an authorized pre-order website.

That being said, Amazon is still letting you place orders for the Amazon HDHomeRun PRIME, and at $202 with free shipping, that’s over $50 savings versus the Newegg pre-order price.

So if you’re interested….keep us posted!

richard1980

Of particular interest is this info from Nick on the SD forums:

The price is below MAP which means they are not complying with the distribution agreement. We won’t be shipping product to Amazon until this is resolved.”

The general-availability MAP price is the same as NewEgg pre-orders at $249.”

mcewinter

Well I have now preordered on Newegg and Amazon. I’ll post back with any noteworthy.

mcewinter

… I expect my Amazon order to flop per richard1980’s post.

johnw248

Don’t understand why Nick thinks this violates a MAP (minmum advertised price) agreement. Amazon hasn’t listed the product, they sent out private emails offering the product and you had to start an order to see the price.

As I recall, manufacturer’s list prices were outlawed back in the late 1960 or early 1970s. Up to that time you paid the same price for a Bolex camera at your local camera store, department store or drug store. Same for Kodak Film and so on. The only discount was if you belonged to a membership store that broke the price with just their members. Then when the law changed there were stores like White Front and countless others that became discount big box stores.

So all SD has is an agreement on advertised prices, Amazon could offer coupons, discounts to people who purchased another product, etc.

The biggest question is how this things is going to work since they by-passed the beta testing.

John

Oldmajor

It seems to me that SiliconDust has massively dropped the ball on the Prime, to many false starts, battles with Amazon (which you would think they would want to build a great relationship with). Also, the device has not had a public beta so I can only imagine the problems with it for first adopters. I originally had a pre-order for one of these but when Ceton dropped in price i cancelled and went with the infiniTV.

Also, what happened to Hauppauge’s USB CableCARD Tuner? 

swoon

[quote=Oldmajor]

Also, what happened to Hauppauge’s USB CableCARD Tuner? 

[/quote]

Hauppauge and Silicon Dust have a partnership where the USB variant is essentially based on the Prime hardware so I don’t suspect we’ll be seeing it for a bit.

jennyfur

So, when can we expect these to be canceled? I don’t recall what the actual date was listed as for the pre-order to be available. I know it’s gotta be in the next week or so.

johnw248

The six tuner version is scheduled for 7/18 and the three tuner version for 7/25.

Of course we have no idea how many have been pre-ordered and how many have been put into production. I would guess that SD has standing orders from their regular distribution outlets for devices once the Newegg.com orders have been shipped.

I think that the Ceton price adjustment/rebate/discount probably cut into that pre-order total at Newegg.

John

Edit: and with the USB version announcement by Hauppauge, there will be more pressure to lower the SD Prime price.

mcewinter

Amazon cancelled my order “due to lack of availability”. 

jennyfur

[quote=mcewinter]

Amazon cancelled my order “due to lack of availability”. 

[/quote]

Yep, mine too. I was expecting it, just didn’t know when. Already ordered the Hauppauge anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.