Server rebuild…..

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Server rebuild…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I’m been managing to keep my creaky old SageTV and file server running the last two years. Its got an old Nforce4 socket 939 board that I used when I built my first HTPC in 2005. I periodically have a problem where the OS drive get corrupted, maybe it overheats and I end up reimaging it. Acronis True image saves my life routinely, yet its annoying when I come home on expecting to watch a movie, or TV and have to spend the nearly 2 hours reimaging the drive. Could I get away without it? maybe, but a scan disk finds all kinds of errors. I haven’t found the problem, and though I might be able to fix it– I’m starting look towards a fresh start. This decision would be easier if I knew I had a clear 5 year vision for my HTPC, but with Sage stagnant and mediacenter possibly slowing as well I’m trying to decide what to do here.

Even if there isn’t a clear consensus on what basic hardware I should be building for, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a solid and reasonably priced case that can hold at least 10+ hard drives. I currently had 8 drives, a set of 4 are in a 3×5.25 -> 4×3.5 in an Antec P180. After looking around online, I’ve come across the fractal design define XL and the NZXT Whisper. Both have space for far more hard drives than I need right now, but it also offers room to grow should I need to add more drives in the future, which is possible, but I doubt I’ll go past 10 drives. Anyone have any other suggestions? Both look like decent cases, but they are also both north of $100. I would love something cheap and solid like the Antec 300, but it will hold less than my P180 right now, so what’s the point?

I’d love to have a conversation about what the future of HTPC holds for people and what kind of computer to build for this, but I’ll put this in another thread.

Aaron Ledger

If the Define XL is anything like the Define Mini that I reviewed or the Define R3 that Andrew reviewed, I think you’ll be satisfied with your purchase as money well spent. Stay tuned for a review of the R4…

bbig119

I’m sure they are very similar. I recently built a computer for my parents using the Define mini. The quality of the case is great. I was just curious if there are some options under $100.

phoneguyinpgh

I am using a variant of the NZXT case with 8 drives thus far.  No complaints.

frijones

If you were still looking at the Define XL case for your rebuild, NewEgg has it as one of it’s Shell Shocker deals today starting at 3pm PDT. The price is $99, though I don’t know if that includes shipping or not.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.