SageTV Client and HD streaming Question

Home Forums Home Theater Computers SageTV Client and HD streaming Question

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I have SageTV Client installed on my main PC in my computer room since I don’t have any other video source for watching TV in there (my “main” PC is not as good as my HTPC, by the way).  I just installed a cat6 cable running the length of my house on Sunday; my HTPC and computer room are on total opposite ends of the house.  I updated SageTV Client to the latest version to match the SageTV version on the HTPC and started it up.  The first thing I did was try watching football from the local digital CBS station on the client.  The result was not too bad, but there was some stuttering.  My specs on my PC that I have Client installed is a Sempron 2800 (2.0 ghz, socket A), 1 GB RAM, and Radeon 9600 Pro video card; the network is running at 100mbs (I plan on upgrading to a gigabit switch…both of these PCs are already capable of gigabit).  Now, here’s my question…what’s the reason for the stutter?  Is it because of the network (I would think 100mbs would be fast enough), or is it the specs of my PC?  I don’t have the problem when I watch a show streamed from the satellite receiver.  But I thought that the video that is streamed to the client is not “actual” quality.  I could see how my system might have trouble with displaying actual HD video if it were on the machine its self, but like I said I thought that the streamed video was actually compressed in some way?  Is this not the case?  Is it actually trying to send full quality HD video to the client?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.