PC as AV reciever?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers PC as AV reciever?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Right now my HTPC is the only thing connected to my tv but I am considering getting a game console.  My htpc has surround sound capabilities.  I was wondering if I could somehow route the console through the computer?  Maybe a hdmi card that will play the audio through the surround in the computer and pass the video through the video card.  Any suggestions?

Mike Garcen

so what you’re asking is technically feasible, but not going to be worth the effort. You could get something like the HD-PVR, and go component video in, but from what i’ve read about people trying this there’s often been a lag between the game and video which prevents it from being optimal.

You could probably find an inexpensive or used amplifier or receiver which your existing speakers could connect to and that would make your life much easier.

SSMI

I was hoping to avoid another box but it looks like I will need to get one.

Mike Garcen

Think about it this way, even if you went through your computer, you were going to need another “box” that could accept the game console. So at least this way, you get more functionality as well.

nicholasvds

ssm1,

What you are trying to do is use one set of computer speakers for both your htpc and your xbox is completely possible. I fact do this myself.What I have done is used a KVM to switch between your two “computers”. i have my pc hooked up to one end of the kvm the other end to my xbox 360 in my case with the aid of a vga cable (which you have to buy separately). Though now days with a new xbox or ps3 you should be able to just use your hdmi outs instead. So you what you need is a hdmi/usb kvm quickly priced at 126 or just your standard dvi/usb kvm at around 83. 

hope this helped

oliverredfox

I don’t know the specs on your TV or HTPC so this may or may not be an option.  There is the potential for audio lag with this depending on hardware, etc.

1)  TV needs to have audio throughput.  For example on my TV, I have all my devices plugged into the TV’s HDMI ins and the TV has both left/right audio outs and Coaxial digital outs from the HDMI’s audio signal.  Not all TVs support this, but a lot of the newer ones do.

2)  Your computer needs to have digital audio input.

3)  Run the game console via HDMI into the TV.  From the TV, run the coaxial digial out into the computer’s digital audio in.  Run software on the computer to play the audio off the digital audio in.  Hope that any lag from this isn’t noticable…

Assuming you have the connectors needed to set it up this way, worse case, it costs you a dollar or two to a buy cable to hook it up and try it out(assuming you don’t have a spare cable laying around).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.