outlet timer suggestions for when I’m away on vacation

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground outlet timer suggestions for when I’m away on vacation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I was all set to just order some ordinary timer to control some lights while we’re away on vacation next month, when I thought that the good people over at missing remote might have some ‘better’ suggestions.

We currently rent, so I’m limited in both desire and the ability to make any major changes as far as home automation. Am I better off just getting the ordinary ‘dump’ and simple timer, or are theree some set of smart gadgets that are easy to install, but still reasonably priced?

babgvant

That’s a hard one. I’m not aware of anything besides a home automation system that will get that done better than simple light timers.

captain_video

Verizon has a setup where you can control lights and other electronic devices using your smartphone while you’re away from home.  The service is called Home Monitoring and Control.  The initial cost is $89.99 that’s paid in three monthly installments and then it’s $9.99 per month after that.  They also offer add-on packages for remote home entry access, remote thermostat adjustment, and numerous other items.  Check out their website for details.  If you’re not on Verizon you might want to check with your own provider and see if they offer something similar.

Since you’re renting you might just want to look into some X10 modules.  They just plug into an outlet and then the device you wish to control plugs into the module.  The modules can be controlled remotely in a variety of ways.  There’s a software program that allows you to control X10 modules using your PC.  Here’s a link for more info:

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ck11a.htm

bbig119

Its strange. I thought for sure there would be more out there for something like this. This seems like such a simple step to the whole home-automation progression where every device could be running android of some sort. In any event, that’s neither here nor there. I did do some looking and here are a couple of options I’m looking at in case anyone is interested.

Belkin Wemo (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Automation-Switch-Apple-iPhone/dp/B0089WFPRO/ref=pd_sim_e_1)

There are also a couple of product by a company called Visible Energy (http://www.visiblenergy.com/products/monostrip.html), which look interesting but its more money, and does more than I’m looking for– looks like an online version of what a Kill-A-Watt does.

I ran across a few other products as well. With the exception of the WeMo, the others charge a monthly fee for remote access to control the outlet.

At the moment, I’m trying to figure out if the WeMo can be configured easily from a PC, since I’ve moved from iOS to Windows Phone 8. A simple dumb outlet would work for me, but I thought this could be something fun to satisfy the geek in me. After looking around and seeing what’s available, actually more like, what’s not available, I think this is an area ripe for someone to make alot of money.

Mike Garcen

Nope, WeMo is smart device only, so it will only work from that, there’s no PC client :-/ you don’t have like an iPod Touch or anything?

bbig119

[quote=Mike Garcen]

Nope, WeMo is smart device only, so it will only work from that, there’s no PC client :-/ you don’t have like an iPod Touch or anything?

[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Of course, I’ve got an old iPhone, and my wife has a new one, but that’s not the point. I’ve got no problem with built in OS (iOS, android, etc) support, but there should also be support for a web based interface that is OS independent.

I ordered the monostrip from visible energy. They offer web based interaction. We’ll see how things work out. I should have it next week and I’ll post a writeup if theres interest.

jakelewis

On my last vacation, it was really awesome because I planned it very well and I used layaway vacation. Well, many might find they do not have enough readily available cash to take a trip this year. We are not disheartened because you can now pay for them in payments. If you need help making your last payment, get a personal loan.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.