New FCC order on Cable Cards will not solve the SageTV certification problems

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground New FCC order on Cable Cards will not solve the SageTV certification problems

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

[quote]Comments regarding CableCARD device certification indicate that the proposed rule would simply codify the CableCARD certification process as it exists today. No commenter opposes the proposed rule, although certain commenters argue that the proposed rule would not do enough to protect device manufacturers. In addition, certain commenters argue that the proposed device certification rule is not rigorous enough to assure a competitive device market. Specifically, CEA and Public Knowledge each encourage the Commission to extend the device certification rule to apply to CableCARD-compatible computers and computer peripheral devices and to limit the terms that CableLabs may dictate in licensing agreements. They assert that these steps will allow start-up companies like SageTV to develop their devices, and that the proposed rule will not be effective without this extension. Indeed, NCTA and MPAA acknowledge that the Commission’s proposed rule would have no effect on the SageTV certification problems that the Commission highlighted in the FNPRM. [/quote]

From :  http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1014/FCC-10-181A1.pdf

Thanks to Sparhawk6 from the SageTV forums:  http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51606

[quote]The FCC adopted the proposed rule only. It doesn’t look like this order did anything to help Sage get certified.  hopes and dreams, dashed. [/quote]

I’m hoping that this didn’t completely derail SageTV’s efforts to get certified, but it doesn’t sound like it helps us at all.  I’ve been putting off getting another HD-PVR since I was hoping for Cable Card support, but now I’m gonna place an order.

Yeah the key phrase there is ” the proposed rule would simply codify the CableCARD certification process as it exists today”.

All they did was put CableLabs existing private certification process into public record as a mandate. It doesn’t change anything 🙁

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.