Network speed

Home Forums Beginner General Questions Network speed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’d like to solicit some comments, thoughts and theories;

First let me preface, no hardware changes have been made in the past month, with that out of the way;  I have recently been ripping my blue-rays to MKV files on my desktop and transferring them to my WHS2011 via an 8 port 1G switch.  For the first 2 weeks my transfer speed was as expected, approximately 330-380Mb/s.  The past few days I have been re-ripping a few movies that didn’t come out quite right but, I noticed that my transfer speed from desktop to server is now up to 880-950 Mb/s!!!  I am gob-smacked by this.  I am not complaining, I will always take more speed, but how is this possible??  I thought 380 Mb/s was roughly the limit for Windows?  Was there some sort of update recently that increased network performance?  Is this a fluke?  Will it last??

RehabMan

I commonly get 800-900 on GigE network with Intel NICs.  Quite frankly, it is what you should get provided there is no bottleneck somewhere.

You might have updated drivers since you were getting lower speeds, or perhaps your server is now just “less busy”

Aaron Ledger

I can also get speeds of 800 MBps+ when transferring to WHS 2011 over GigE without even using jumbo frames. Speeds are dependent on a lot of factors such as drive speeds (they get slower if files are fragmented and depending where data is physically located) and other system activities.

mikinho

Depending on when you last checked there was also a hotfix for WHS 2011 dealing with slow transfer speeds.  I’ll see if I find it….at least I believe there was.

mpatnode

How are you measuring the network speed and whats the transfer protocol?   Is it just file copies over SMB?

dbocce3

Michael,

Have you found the hotfix for slow transfer speeds? I am having HORRIBLY slow transfer speeds. I’m talking less than 1MB per second!

John

phoneguyinpgh

I am just doing a straight SMB file copy from the desktop to the server.  But I think I figured it out, when I was getting the 380Mb/s transfers I was watching TV at the same time.  My Ceton tuners are hosted on my WHS.  So I think that may have been slowing down my transfer speed.  When I was getting the 900 Mb/s transfers I was listening to OTA radio and doing no other computer tasks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.