Media server vs HTPC with large storage

Home Forums Beginner General Questions Media server vs HTPC with large storage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Im on my way back from Afghanistan and am planning a home theater build.  My main question is should I build a media server (especially with MyMovies for WHS 11 coming out) or an HTPC with a bunch of disks.  Im looking to have about 6-8 TB of storage and at least 2-3 extenders (HTPC and Xbox being two of them).  Any input on  this issue would be appreciated.  This is my first home theater build so I need all the help I can get.

skirge01

The first question is whether or not you want to hear your PC when watching TV.  How tolerable would you be of it?  If you don’t want to hear it, then I would recommend building a server and using small HTPCs or extenders at the TV.  While you certainly could build a quiet HTPC with lots of storage and still be quiet, it will take a decent amount of planning, effort, and money.  (Not that a server is going to wind up saving you money, mind you.)  Also, you stated that the Xbox would be an extender.  If memory serves, they’re quite loud, aren’t they?

It sounds like you’ve settled on Media Center already.  Have you explored any other options?

P.S.  On a personal note, thank you for your service to your country.

Mike Garcen

the new xboxes tend to be pretty quiet from what i’ve heard (i think mikinho has the newer ones and can comment).

that being said, since you’re looking the route of extenders anyways, why not just go server-based and then use strictly extenders? Or is there some functionality that you would need that the extenders couldn’t do?

babgvant

[quote=skirge01]

The first question is whether or not you want to hear your PC when watching TV.  How tolerable would you be of it?  If you don’t want to hear it, then I would recommend building a server and using small HTPCs or extenders at the TV.  While you certainly could build a quiet HTPC with lots of storage and still be quiet, it will take a decent amount of planning, effort, and money.  (Not that a server is going to wind up saving you money, mind you.) 

[/quote]

I agree w/ George; unless you have a high tolerance for noise unless you have a rack system in a closet somewhere putting all that disk in your A/V stack is going to be problematic.

[quote=skirge01]

Also, you stated that the Xbox would be an extender.  If memory serves, they’re quite loud, aren’t they?

[/quote]

The 360 slims are quiet, if you have older revs it might be an issue.

Taylordown

my plan is to have all the AV components in a rack system in a closet with a projector for the display so there will be little up front besides the screen and speakers. so noise isnt a main concern.  The reason for the HTPC and server is for tv recording via a ceton tuner and commercial skipping (more cpu power in the htpc, hdmi 1.4 output with the new DH67 motherboard and sandybridge cpu, etc.) on the HTPC, or can I just incorporate those features into the server build?

The plan for the HTPC was the fixed DH67 MB with a SB i5-2500K and SSD for commercial skipping then move all the finished files to the server along with all my other recorded music, dvds, and Blu-Rays.

And yes I have pretty much decided to stick with Media Center and MyMovies, pretty good usability and GUI as far as im concened.

Mike Garcen

do you need any actual server functions? System backups? Web hosting? FTP?

It doesn’t seem so, so since you have the flexibility of the rack, i’d say just go big in there–find a nice big case with plenty of airflow, throw a powerful CPU and tons of RAM in there, and then connect all your HD’s and voila.

If you really want some extra speed, RAID is still an option with your HTPC, just be aware of the risks.

Oh, and make sure to take TONS of pics along the way! 😛

swoon

Oh, and make sure to take TONS of pics along the way! Tongue

I second that! Mike brings up a good point, you may be able to skip a server altogether if it isn’t required.

Techbutton

I have a large HTPC with lots of storage and xbox as an extender and I don’t think I would have it any other way.

I have another computer with lots of space I can use too, if it gets to full..just map drives on the main HTPC running the extenders and it all looks like one giant hard drive to the extenders.

The new xbox’s are very quiet I now have two of them and there is a dramatic difference.

Kyle
                  TechButton

swoon

Xbox extenders are also limiting in many scenarios. To name a few, there is no HD Audio support, no Blu-ray drive, limited file format support, Gold required for Netflix/Hulu, limitations on third-party software, etc.

Mike Garcen

[quote=swoon]

Xbox extenders are also limiting in many scenarios. To name a few, there is no HD Audio support, no Blu-ray drive, limited file format support, Gold required for Netflix/Hulu, limitations on third-party software, etc.

[/quote]

Ditto here. I’ve tried going to the Extender platform SOOO Many times. (SOO MANY) and in the end, i just can’t deal with all the limitations, speed, inability to control VOLUME!!! Argh. For me the platform had SO much potential and just disappoints on every turn.

Taylordown

Hey guys, I figure at this point im at the limit of my planning and need to start making some moves.  So heres my list, please let me know what you think.

Mobo: Gigabyte H67

CPU: Intel i5-2500k (sandybridge)

Memory: GSkill Ripjaws 16 GB (4x4Gb)

HDD: 2x  Seagate barracuda 500gb SATA (6gb/s)

6x Hitachi 500 gb drives (3bg/s)

PCI: Syba controller 4x SATA II (3Gb/s)

Tuner: Ceton InfiniTV 4 (once amazon restocks)

Optical: Samsung BD drive

Chasis: Rosewill RV-4000 Rackmount (4U) w/ 8x 3.5″ int bays, 3x 5.5″ ext bays

I figure that should give me plenty of space to work with and be easy to upgrade since there will still be plenty of expansion slots.  In any event Please let me know what you guys think, I havent put together a computer in about 10 years so i could definetly use some advice.

babgvant

why so many disks?

Taylordown

I figure why not? The pricepoint is cheap and the case has the space, since its going into a closet might as well fill it up.  I was planning on using the two 6Gb/s drives for the OS and programs and one for TV Commercial skipping then stripping the other 6 for raw storage.  I have a large collection of media I want to consolodate.  Im really not too worried about data redundancy (RAID) or should I be?  Am I missing anything else that I would need? 

Or are you saying just get a fewer number of higher capacity disks?

Also, do the new slim xbox’s support BD playback?

PAPutzback

I would think the price difference between 500gb and 1tb would be so close that the 1tb would be the better deal.

swoon

Have you considered spoiling yourself with an SSD for your OS drive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.