media pc 50 feet from plasma tv – best solution a limited budget?

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help media pc 50 feet from plasma tv – best solution a limited budget?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I was looking for input before I started tearing my walls apart.  I’m currently running MCE / vista in my basement.  I would like to move my pc to my office upstairs.  I have a nvidia 8600 gts video card currently outputting though the s-video port which is then being split into component video.  I have a Panasonic TH-42PX60U which has native resolution of 720.  I’m using a firefly RF remote which works okay but sometimes when paused it drops the signal and requires the mouse to be moved.  Since my video signal will be traveling two floors I believe I need about 50 feet of cable.  I was told DVI cable would work best for the 50’ cord then to get a DVI / HDMI converter along with running 50 feet of audio patch cables.  I don’t think my remote will work at this distance so I could use advice in this area too.  Is this a really bad plan altogether?  I’m sick of looking at my pc next to my TV and don’t want to spend another $500 bucks on a low end media pc if possible.  I also have nokia internet tablet that sort of works when using real VNC as a way to control the pc but is too gimmicky to be considered a real remote.  At some point I might use it to control speakers placed throughout the house via nokia home media server but that is probably best kept for another email.  Thanks for your input!

wkearney

I’ve got several 35′ and 50′ cables (both VGA and HDMI) from monoprice.com. Signal quality is excellent. Much, much easier than crimping/adapting coax. Bear in mind, you cause signal loss with each connector used, so all those adapters will degrade the signal. For return remote I’ve had great luck with Russound’s remote extender.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.