Looking for HTPC case advice

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Looking for HTPC case advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi everybody,

Looking to do my 1st HTPC build and want to do it right as the spouse factor is to be considered to be somewhat critical 

So I’m looking at the MonCaso 312 & 320 (not sure which yet) and have a few questions:

1. Can I use a fanless PSU?  My theory is that it will reduce noise but will it cause for airflow to be diminished and cause heating?
    2. I looked at Silverstone, Antec, Thermaltake, Zalman and others and would like to know what else is worth buying for the case.  I consider this item the most critical part of the project (ref: spouse).  My criteria are: good looking, must not look like a PS, not too big if possible, maybe a LCD screen and most importanty a built-in IR receiver port for my Logitech Harmony.  Anything I’m missing?  

Thanks!

daziring

What motherboard size are you using?
      Do you want something that looks like an AV component?

scoyne2

I have a Wesena e7 and I love it. I got a great deal on a used case, but you might be able to find new ones floating around. It was a pain to install everything in, but it is built solid like a rock, looks great, and is very minimalistic. 

babgvant

1) I would stay away from most Full ATX fanless designs. They still generate heat and if it’s in a cabinet that will need to be dissipated somehow. If it’s a smallish system, you could use a PicoPSU style PSU however. They are so efficient that you don’t need cooling. That said, most 120mm PSU will be quiet enough that it’s not a problem.

2) It depends what you’re looking for. Most of those chassis aren’t going to have the same fit and finish of the all Aluminum Moneual or Wesena cases, but it might not matter either if all you’ll see is the face plate.

One benefit of the Moneual cases is that you can run LCDWriter to handle the internal IR, and use its process specific keymaps to customize what the buttons do per application.

Morely

If you’re going with a traditional case and motherboard combo, consider large-diameter fan[s] rather than fanless; they can move the same amount of air at lower RPM, thus less noise.

The built-in IR port rules out the route I went; see  http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16356254

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.