Looking for case recommendations

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Looking for case recommendations

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I have a matx build I want to put in to a mini-tower for my Dad.  For aesthetics I would prefer the smallest slim design, but I am worried about all the loud fans and trouble-prone power supplies I read about. 

There will be no expansion cards. Just matx motherboard, stock CPU, HSF, ram, hard drive, and DVD drive.

Anyone willing to share their experiences?

Aaron Ledger

Is the SilverStone TJ08-E too big? It is a relatively small tower, takes a standard ATX PSU and can be quiet if you control the fan.

SJMaye

Read your review on that one this morning.  It is pretty nice looking and using a regular ATX PSU is a plus.  The reason I was looking at slim chassis was this will sit on his desk next to the monitor.  Just trying to keep the package as small as possible. 

On the flip side it will be a nightmare (for me) if he has power supply failures as many with slim cases have reported.

Aaron Ledger

Are stuck with Micro-ATX? Mini-ITX might have more options for you.

SJMaye

Now you are picking at an old wound. lol  I built a mATX MC for my Dad as a Xmas present.  Had a few technical issues.  Not sure if they were him or real computer issues.  Either way we both agreed it would be better for him to go back to a Comcast STB.  I am trying to move all those new components to a case for his desktop. 

I know this is not a HTPC, but I knew I would get good feedback from you guys- Sorry bout that.

PHT

[quote=SJMaye]

I have a matx build I want to put in to a mini-tower for my Dad.  For aesthetics I would prefer the smallest slim design, but I am worried about all the loud fans and trouble-prone power supplies I read about. 

There will be no expansion cards. Just matx motherboard, stock CPU, HSF, ram, hard drive, and DVD drive.

[/quote]

[quote=SJMaye]

[/quote]

[quote=SJMaye]

[/quote]

What about this, fanless chassis?

SJMaye

That is a pretty cool chassis for my HTPC, but not sure it is right for his desktop.  The heatsink and heatpipes are pretty ingenius.

I appeciate all the feedback.  I had hoped for a slim mini tower, but with the exception of a few high priced models the slim designs seem to have a lot of complaints about power supplies failing and their noise.  I will probably look further at the mini-towers that use standard ATX PSUs.  They may be wider than I like, but it will have a greater chance of long term success.

Aaron Ledger

If you get a case with an SFX PSU then you could replace the supply. One of these SeaSonic PSUs would probably be good.

frijones

I’m in the same boat.  I’m looking for a small mATX case to replacec my full size tower because I don’t need the space.  The smallest I’ve found so far that accept a full size ATX power supply and expansion cards are the Silverstone SG03 and the Silverstone ML03.  The SG03 is a tower that can support full height cards while the ML03 is a desktop/HTPC case that only supports low profile cards.

SJMaye

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

If you get a case with an SFX PSU then you could replace the supply. One of these SeaSonic PSUs would probably be good.

[/quote]

OK, did some reading.  I was not aware of this.  So many of the slim designs use some sort of non-standard power supply that cannot be replaced or replaced cost effectively.  The SFX PSU is a standard.  If I purchase a case using this type PSU I can replace it.  And since it is a standard I may have better luck finding a quality PSU?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.