LG firmware upgrade their passive 3D TV resolutions

Home Forums General Home Theater Discussion LG firmware upgrade their passive 3D TV resolutions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    oliverredfox
    Participant

Recently LG released a new firmware bumping me from 3.x to 4.x.  I was curious what all the new firmware included and while searching around found out that LG was bumping up the 3D resolution on their passive 3D cinema TVs.  http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1304582822

Before the Cinema 3D technology worked like this: During a time period of 1/200 seconds the TV showed 2 frames; 540 lines for the left eye and 540 lines for the right eye.
      The new algorithm shows 4 frames instead of 2 during the 1/200 second time frame. It shows 1080i for the left eye and 1080i for the right eye.

When these are combined the two pictures create a 1080p picture according to LG. LG believes that this update improves picture quality on their Cinema 3D TVs to compete directly with the active 3D TVs such as 3D plasma TVs. You need to turn off TruMotion to utilize the new algorithm. See the illustration below.

It’s nice to see that LG is doing this upgrade for all the current models and not trying to release a new price range model touting this as a new feature.  So if any of you have a LG 3D Cinema TV, turn off TruMotion and see if you can tell the difference with the latest firmware.

oliverredfox

So the update for this finally rolled out(apparently just a few days ago according to people at avsforum).  When I first got my TV, I accepted the occasional interlacing artifacts in exchange for being able to use cheap glasses.  Today I went to watch Tangled 3D and the difference was amazing, not a single interlace line to be seen.  It felt like I was watching on my 3D plasma display but without the headache from the flashing glasses.  If any of you previously saw these TVs in stores and found its 3D lacking, you should check them out again (pop into settings to check the firmware on a demo TV and make sure it’s at 4.01.30 or higher).  Now I just wish there was more quality content in 3D so I’d have an excuse to use it more than once in a while.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.