How do I schedule ShowAnalyzer to process a directory?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers How do I schedule ShowAnalyzer to process a directory?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    SJMaye

Good News!  I am pretty sure it worked.  The DOS prompt box shows the files processed, but the log shows nothing but a date and time in it.  No files listed.

Now for the weird part.  The XML files were not in the CommercialXML directory.  In fact they were no where.  I know I saw them starting to populate this directory, but when I came back after processing stopped there was nothing there.  Thinking it may be something to do with file cleanup I dropped a spare XML file in that folder.  Gave it a couple seconds and it was gone.

I see no where that cleanup is supposed to delete XMLs.  Any idea?

SJMaye

I simply could not find out why the XMLs were being deleted as soon as they were dropped in the in the CommercialsXML folder.  I took a stab in the dark and assumed DTB was deleting them as part of some file cleanup. 

It did not hurt too that there was a newer version out.  I went to the new version and all is good.  I created a scheduled task using the commscan.bat.  Everything is working great.  Thanks for all the help.

TheEmirOfGroofunkistan

good thread.  I have showanalyzer set up with a directory watcher so all I do to have this run overnight is to set up a task to start the service at a specific time and then another task to stop it early in the morning before everyone wakes up.  That gives plenty of time for it to run through all of the days recordings and it makes the script really simple.

to start it:

net start ShowAnalyzerMaster

SJMaye

Interesting and easy approach. Since starting this thread i did a full refresh of my MC and have not yet installed Showanalyzer.  I will try this.  Thanks.

mpatnode

[quote=TheEmirOfGroofunkistan]

good thread.  I have showanalyzer set up with a directory watcher so all I do to have this run overnight is to set up a task to start the service at a specific time and then another task to stop it early in the morning before everyone wakes up.  That gives plenty of time for it to run through all of the days recordings and it makes the script really simple.

to start it:

net start ShowAnalyzerMaster

[/quote]

This is exactly what I do, but I use DTB to monitor the directory rather than ShowAnalyzer, because I have DVRMToolkit do other tasks (like move the files off the SSD to the NAS).   Basically, Task Scheduler just does the following:

@3AM: net start DTBService

@8AM: net stop DTBService

Seems to do the trick.

mikinho

I made a post with the script I use as well http://www.missingremote.com/forums/show-analyzer-nightly-task

ARobinso0502

This is great information… I also recently got back into the commercial skipping game only to find there was no one product that was a clear favored…  After researching the issues I have to-date attempt (3) three different configurations involving: BATCH files, JS scripts, DTBAddin, DVRMSToolbox, ShowAnalyzer, MC-TVConverter, WTV Watcher, etc, etc.

One major consideration in the software to be used is continue development as we now this type of software does not have a long shelf-life…  In my current configuration, I use a script that runs after and EVENT 1 of a recording…  The script basically moves the file from the local device to a NAS. Note however, that part of the process involves renaming the file and saving it in a directory hiearchy that structured based on SERIE, SHOW and EPISODE-NAME…  All recorded movies are save in the root of this folder… 

My second consideration is that I prefer to have my directory structure as indicated above so I need a program that will scan my recorded shows based on the structure indicated above…

Finally, I need on the fly processing…  I’m willing to wait for 1 hour to pass before assuming a recorded show is ready to be viewed with commericials…  In short I want to record HOUSE @ 20:00 est and by 22:00 be watching without commericals…

*  THE RESULTS  *

My first configuration, I used WTV Watcher but it did not do subdirecotries.

My second configuration, I used DTBAddin, DVRMSToolbox and ShowAnalyzer – but did not get consistant results…  It never automatically scanne the subfolders for the recorded tv…

I’m currently testing BATCH files, JS scripts, DTBAddin, DVRMSToolbox, MC-TVConverter…  The ideal I’m using with this configuration is that I will use the script to get the file to the NAS and in the folder structure I want and an attempt to test to see if the MOVE|RENAME process is faster with the script or by using MC-TVConverter…  I have never heard anything good about DVRMSToolbox file moving ability so I have not tried it. 

Once the file is on the NAS, I’m using MC-TVConverter to scan the ROOT and subfolders for new files and then running the DVRMSToolbox process…  It’s my hope that the file can be moved from my local device and immediated process for viewing while maintaining my directory structure…

I’ve just configured the above settings and will do some testing and post back…  So far it does look good but I might have the ability to get rid of the script because MC-TVConverter does allow you to rename a file once process based on the structure listed above.

Note:  I visted AVSForum, LifeHacker, Engadget and of course this site while doing research.

tedbone

I use DVMST with ShowAnalyzer (mostly for on-the-fly comm skipping) FileWatcher is always running and SA’s directory watcher is OFF.

I also use WTV-MetaRenamer http://wtvmetarenamer.codeplex.com/

IT. IS. AWESOME…once you get it up and running. I was able to figure it out with the provided help/readme files, and a small amount of Googling. I think the newer version has everything you need. I installed this over a year ago and had to dig for this wierd Ionic.Zip.dll file.

I run WTV-MetaRenamer everyday at 3AM (Task Scheduler) to scan for new shows. It then gathers show info (from theTVDB.com), renames, and moves it to my Drobo (DAS). If a show is unknown (usually new shows) it can be placed in any file I desire (I have an “unknown folder” where these live). If a file new recording already exists it gets deleted (these are usually Seinfeld episodes 🙂 ). Its really a matter of editing an XML file to tell it what to do. 

My biggest issue now is converting all of these already comm-skipped,  renamed & sorted WTV files to either a trully chopped WTV/DVR-ms file or even better – MP4/MKV …something HTPC & Tablet friendly…and smaller in file size.

I just saw that MC-TVConverter 2 is out and looks promising. I’ll try to have it scan my directory.

My end result is:

1. Current recordings live in C:UsersPublicRecordedTV – I use Win7MC default “Recorded TV” to view current WTV files (already comm-skipped, or I hit 4 to processes for comm skipping)

2. Next I use TVLibrary to view all my ripped DVD tv shows (not ISOs but VIDEO_TS folders, MP4, MKV, WMV etc.), Amazon downloads, Zune Downloads. Even my sorted WTV files too.

I might go back to Media Browser for the DVD folder/ISO support for TV shows.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.