HDMI conversion

Home Forums Home Theater Computers HDMI conversion

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi all, got a question for ya.

I’m purchasing a nice Win7 tablet (asus), among other things I will occasionally use it to pipe media to my entertainment center (if possible). the problem is that the tablet only has HDMI output and my older reciever and tv only have older inputs (composite, rca, vga, optical). Anyone know of a way to to convert HDMI to one of these older formats?

I’ve seen “conversion cables”, but they are a total rip-off, dont work at all. Can I do what I want or do I have to get a new tv/reciever?

Thanks

mikinho

There are some good devices for HDMI conversion such as the HDFURY but depending on the quality of your current receiver the money may be better spent on an new AVR.

perry59

I will look into that, thanks!

I hate to have to get rid of my reciever, it is older but still good. A yamaha 5.1, dont remember model number off the top of my head.

skirge01

For the amount you’ll be spending on the HDFury, I’d seriously consider upgrading the receiver.  I recently had to make a similar decision and a new receiver was definitely the wiser, longer term choice.  In the end, it didn’t even cost all that much more than the HDFury would have.

perry59

Well, a decent reciever will cost at least 500 bucks, a nice one double that.

the cheaper HD fury looked to be about 100 bucks.

oliverredfox

Some devices support HDMI to VGA.  Same way DVI to VGA works on video cards.  Look around and see if your tablet does.  Could save you a bunch of money.  If you post the model of your tablet, someone here might know more specifically.

perry59

that would be interesting!

its the Asus ep 121

oliverredfox

I glanced around a little at this device, cool little tablet.  From what I saw, one person on a forum tried it and didn’t have any luck getting an HDMI>VGA cable to work( http://ep121.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/the-ep121-product-tour/comment-page-1/#comment-431 ).  Of course, with only reading about one person’s luck, I’d take it with a grain of salt (the person might be clueless about how to set the driver to output).  If you’re like me and have a box full of random AV/computer cables laying around, I’d try to hook it up and see if it works myself just in case.

perry59

Yeah, I saw that post too, and a couple others. Looks like I’m probably stuck shelling out 100 bucks for the HDfury. I dont have any HDMI->VGA cables laying around.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.