FCC Votes to Change CableCARD Rules

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground FCC Votes to Change CableCARD Rules

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

The write-up says that somesort of support for SDV has been mandated.

Upon further investigation of the actual PDF the FCC only says that both the IP “backchannel” method and the typical Tuning Adapter method are both supported, and the industry is encouraged to find which method works best. So there is no specific mandate about getting rid of TA’s. Just that if SDV is used that the MSO’s have to support a method for CableCARD owners to get the channels.

It also has the mandate about TA’s must be able to resolve 4 channels at once which we saw from the firmware updates that were talked about last week.

Also for traditional set-top boxes, the mandate of having an IP based interface (Ethernet, MoCA, etc.) for home networking is pretty darn cool. It makes the availability of “Any Room DVR” type of services mandatory, of course that’s by 2012… and I’d bet most big provider will have their solutions rolled out by then. The other question is it possible for HTPCs to somehow get in on the IP interface? you’d still need an STB from the cable company, but the HTPC could have direct access to the box, something like Dish Network was rumored to be doing with Media Center a couple of years ago.

An “IP based interface”?  My guess is that they’ll tweak it just enough so that it’s proprietary and completely negate any actual usefulness.

[quote=”Skirge01″]
    An “IP based interface”?  My guess is that they’ll tweak it just enough so that it’s proprietary and completely negate any actual usefulness.
    [/quote]

My guess is that it will be the same as firewire was.  It will be ruined by 5C encryption that nobody can get a license to decode.

[quote=”autoboy”]
    [quote=”Skirge01″]
    [/quote]

My guess is that it will be the same as firewire was.  It will be ruined by 5C encryption that nobody can get a license to decode.
    [/quote]

No, because the cable co’s see a value in it already. Most providers already have pilot projects for whole home DVR service which uses MoCA to stream shows to non-DVR set-top boxes from a main DVR. Uverse does it this way, Comcast has it slowly rolling out in areas, etc. So I would imgine it is as Skirge said, and it will just be locked down by the industry for the industry only.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.