DLNA server software

Home Forums Home Theater Computers DLNA server software

• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Ganjagadget.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    oliverredfox
    Participant

Recently picked up a new TV that supports DLNA video playing.  I’m mucking around with it so I tossed PS3 Media Server on one of my computers.  It seems like it could be useful to keep around and now I’m curious what others use for DLNA serving software.

Tikker

tversity to serve up content to my Archos tablet

einstein

I used Windows Media Player for a little while. Not because it was good, but because it was free and already installed. It works well enough, I just hate their library management.

swoon

I love the DLNA feature built into my Samsung display, but have found little cause to use it since I have an HTPC connected to it. I just use the built-in Windows 7 DLNA functionality when needed. Playto has come in handy on a couple occassions with my notebook.

burzel2

I had the best luck with Serviio. DLNA seemed like a good idea because of its simplicity. Unfortunately my Samsung TV did not reliably play back WMC recordings. Some played back smooth, others were jerky. I ended up building a HTPC instead!

oliverredfox

It seems like it might be a good way to save power.  My main computer stays on nearly 24/7 while my HTPC is only on when recording/watching shows.  I figure cutting out the middle man for shows that can be played via DLNA off the main computer could save a little juice(that and it’s a new toy to play around with).

I’ll be really interested when someone rigs up software to do transcoding off QuickSync in the background so it won’t eat up CPU cycles.

Ganjagadget

[quote=burzel2]

I had the best luck with Serviio. DLNA seemed like a good idea because of its simplicity. Unfortunately my Samsung TV did not reliably play back WMC recordings. Some played back smooth, others were jerky. I ended up building a HTPC instead!

[/quote]

Do you know if Samsung TV’s cantecive playto content from windows 7 boxes?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.