Copy Protected on same network with Media Center?

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Copy Protected on same network with Media Center?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Ok so I got my Ceton card installed and I run a Windows 7 media center PC in each room in the house.
    Is there a way to make it so I could watch something I recorded in the living room with my Ceton card
    to allow me to watch it on another computer in my bedroom?

I did test this out with my xBox and I can watch TV that’s recorded with it.  I keep thinking there has to be a way on my own network using home group and all the other cool tools out there that I can watch recorded shows better.

mikinho

There sadly is not.  The DRM supports domains but it is not used in this implementation.

zOdeac

If I had a Domain with all the computers inside of it would that help?  I only ask because you said domain.

mikinho

No it would still not work.  Sorry, I used Domain in the DRM context.

zOdeac

Ok thank you Mike I guess ill have to buy 3 more xboxes.  I went to all the local dealers in my area and no one sells extenders anymore.  Not sure why but i guess an xbox is beter then nothing.

skirge01

Since this is apparently “resolved”, I’m going to do a little threadjacking here.  😉

With all the <cough>crap</cough> I get for my anti-DRM stance, it’s “nice” to read about things I don’t have to deal with because of that stance.

phoneguyinpgh

The way I have achieved the “Multi-Room-DVR” functionality you seem to be speaking of is; I record on what ever machine, then transfer the recording to the “Recorded-TV” shared directory on my WHSv1.  I’m guessing you don’t have one, but if you do or are planning to build one, PP3 makes setting it up almost automatic.

zOdeac

Sorry to ask PP3?  Ok so now i have Both Fios and Comcast.  I prefer Fios do to having internet from them ill only pay $30 a month for cable and get all the HD channels.  Comcast charges more for the HD stuff.

So im setting up a WHSv1 now to test it out and i did read some place else to use Audial One with copys the file to the WHSv1 server and removes the DRM?  Im not quite sure i like that idea but i will try the WHSv1 asap.

phoneguyinpgh

PP3=Power Pack 3 for WHSv1

zOdeac

Thank you for that info.

I fixed my problem with the DRM.  Verizon or frontier whatever it’s called this days is sending a signal to copy protect each recording other than the normal local TV channels.  I contacted Comcast and went down to pick up a card and after testing I found I they don’t lock the files other then HBO type channels.

This makes me happy as i don’t watch them channels I watch History, Syfy and discovery channel.  I was told by frontier that each company like CNN set the lock so they have no control over it but after using Comcast I found out its not them doing it its Frontier.

Now I can watch TV in the office and living room I am happy.  Thanks again for all your info.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.