Capture Card Decision

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Capture Card Decision

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    LowTech
    Participant

[color=orange]HTPC V 2.1 is about to undergo a major change in the next month or so when I install W7 to replace Vista.  Currently there is an old PVR-250 since the PC has been rarely used as a recording device for quite some time and has served primarily as a DVD/BD/HD-DVD player, a music player (our ripped CD collection) and as an internet music player (Pandora). 

Well now there is a renewed need to use the PC for what it was originally intended, a DVR.  Obviously the old 250 is no longer acceptable since there is an increased need to time shift TV programs. 

So along with the impending upgrade to W7 I will also upgrade the capture card (and a bum case fan that’s beginning to act up).  Since the site’s reviews and guide on the capture card topic are somewhat dated I thought that I’d pose a “what’s the best card” question for my situation.

My requirements are simple as the card will only be used for SD capture from a DirecTV STB.  I’ve been considering something like one of the ATI 650 based tuner cards, an older 550 based tuner, the Hauppauge HVR-1250 (is this a hardware encoding card?) or an Avermedia Combo G2. 

Any thoughts on the topic?

Thanks. 
      [/color]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.