Boxee with Cable Card

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Boxee with Cable Card

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am a big fan of Windows Media Center since XP days and before (when it was not an official feature). But lately I have been evaluating the type of content I watch, and how and what type of content is used through out the house. I have to say that Boxee nearly got everything covered except for the live TV. I am hoping that soon they will have something built on HDHomeRun Prime. At that point it will be hard to justify a SFF PC connected to every TV.

I like SFF PC idea because it has limit less possibilities being a general purpose device. But that is the problem with it as well, being general purpose, it requires a lot of house keeping and doesn’t deliver as a dedicated device.

What do you guys think?

Aaron Ledger

What is so onerous about having a SFF HTPC? Once it is set up, what are you finding that you have to do besides use it?

Crim

I’ve never understood posts like these. Maybe I’m weird but I see my HTPC like any other media device, like my PS3 or something. Just because it’s roots are a PC doesn’t mean you have to have a keyboard and mouse connected to it. You don’t have to install Word or anything not media related on it. I don’t get what’s so hard about it…?

You find which frontend you like best, install it and what other apps you would like to use (like for 7MC installing Media Browser, etc). Put it all together and then [i]maybe[/i] spend the weekend setting it all up to perfection (like turning off auto updates) before deploying it. Plan on spending a day each month installing updates to anything you need, tweaking anything that might need to be (I update everything every three months).

It’s really not that hard/painful. Am I just not getting something here? Everyone in my house treats it like a dedicated device. No one is clamoring to use it for homework, checking web sites, etc.

It’s a lot more pain free then my PS3. I swear to god, every time I turn it on I have to wait an hour or two before I can play a game because it forces me to update it before I can do anything. You want to talk about annoying….

So really, am I “missing out” on why people think an HTPC is so “high maintenance?”

ARobinso0502

I just posted a RANT over on thegreenbutton (or whatever the new name is) about this same thing…  I have 3 @ DCT on my PC and recently purchased and Ceton turner…  Because of my recent purchase, I’m questioning why can’t I just share one turner with the network and a Boxee, Apple-Device and/or some network-aware device attach to the shared turner in the same manner in which the Linksys or HP extender does?..

So idealy, in on room would be an Boxee, in another an AppleTV and finally in another a PS3:  all these devices would be able to connect to a NETWORK-TURNER if one was available.

???

babgvant

Why the “RANT”?  I don’t think there are any institutional barriers to sharing the tuners with other devices.  Technically any device that supports UPnP and RTP can use a DCT.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.