Best File Format for ripping DVDs??

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Best File Format for ripping DVDs??

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I have currently been ripping all of my star trek episodes to my WHS for playback on my LG BD390.  I am currently using DVDFab, ripping to .VOB files which if I understand correctly is just a direct copy of what was on the DVD (MPEG-2 encoding) in one continuous file.  I tried .MKV and .MP4 in DVDFab but the MKV files, though 1/4th the size of the VOB files, had noticeable loss of quality and were taking 6 times as long to rip and encode (27min each) as compared to the VOB files (4-5min each) even on my Quad core system (it was also maxing out all 4 cores during the encoding).  The MP4 files played their video but the audio was completely corrupted and also had noticeable loss of video quality.

What file type (or types) do you recommend to obtain a little compression (maybe 1/2 the MPEG file size) with little or no loss of quality??
    What program do you recommend to create that file??

Currently the VOB files look as though I have the DVD right in the player, I want to keep that quality, it takes precedence over compression level.   I have 3TB of space available on my WHS and adding 1 or 2 larger drives wouldn’t be and issue.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.