ATI 5450 brightness issue

Home Forums Home Theater Computers ATI 5450 brightness issue

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    mikinho

If feasible I would first take both your systems and see how they do on the other TV set to see if the behavior is the same between the TVs.  If so, I would pickup a GT430.  You can find them relatively cheap that I think your time is better purchasing a new card versus troubleshooting and dealing with AMD driver mayhem.

phoneguyinpgh

Well Michael, replacing the video card seems to have cured it.  I installed this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121448&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-  installed the most recent drivers, did a rough calibration and watched the recording that was flashing before.  The frame rate was still bouncing but the brightness was not flashing with it.

With the cheap Tv I can still not set the pixel format to anything but RGB and have the scaling not over scan or underscan.  And it’s still odd that the bedroom machine has a 5450 but doesn’t flash yet the living room did.

mikinho

Glad to hear it fixed your issues–very odd that the other 5450 isn’t working but who knows how long it would have taken to troubleshoot what was different and why.

phoneguyinpgh

Update:

I was watching some ripped DVDs this weekend and noticed my old friend the brightness flashing.  I checked everything in the NVIDIA setting, the registry entries, and the TV settings.  I swapped TVs from the bedroom to the living room.  Again, flashing in the living room but none in the bedroom.

Then I found something that the graphics card manufacturer(ASUS) installed with the driver.  They call it ASUS Splendid and it is supposed to enhance the video.(that is not my opinion)  It is buried in the control panel display settings.  Once it was disabled everything was back to no flashing.

Whew…  I’ve lost too much hair over this.

Thanks to all.

RehabMan

<RANT>

I wish the GPU vendors would just quit it with all this “enhancement” stuff.  IMO, There is only one way to properly display the frames in video, especially from high-quality content (BR, HDDVD, DVD, etc).  There is nothing that can be done that is appropriate except an exact decode.  What’s there is there.  And what’s there was intended to be there.  And that’s how the drivers should display it.  End of story.

</RANT>

phoneguyinpgh

I agree.  Perhaps they hold stock in Rogaine.

htpc_user

[quote=phoneguyinpgh]

Well Michael, replacing the video card seems to have cured it.  I installed this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121448&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-&nbsp; installed the most recent drivers, did a rough calibration and watched the recording that was flashing before.  The frame rate was still bouncing but the brightness was not flashing with it.

With the cheap Tv I can still not set the pixel format to anything but RGB and have the scaling not over scan or underscan.  And it’s still odd that the bedroom machine has a 5450 but doesn’t flash yet the living room did.

[/quote]

That is a nice looking 430GT.  I wish they would’ve had that one when I bought a 430GT.  However it might not have made a difference because the 430GT I had caused terrible stutter with my live TV and recordings.  It was ever so slight but definitely noticeable.  I took it back out, sent it back, and put my 2600xt back in.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.