AMD or Intel for next build?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers AMD or Intel for next build?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Would like some suggestions on going with an Intel CPU or AMD CPU on my next HTPC?  Not necessarily the cpu but the graphics performance.  I’m leaning toward an AMD A8-6500K right now.  Just doing a little searching it seems the AMD Trinity video tests edge out Intel’s (and I assume Richland would be the same which is what’s on the 6500k).  But I started out with a Radeon 2600xt, then to an HD 6570, and would then being going to an AMD APU.  I’ve always had small issues with AMD graphics so it’s almost like my thinking is I’d like to try an “unknown” vs. the same ol’ AMD.  But then I might end up worse.  What do you guys think?

jjhtpc

I just recently rebuilt with a A10-5700.  I have been extremely happy with this cpu.  The onboard graphics work excellent for an HTPC and issues that I previously could never overcome such as 29/59 and proper 23.967 are handled extremely well with this chip.  I went with the 5700 as it has the highest GPU clock of the trinity series with quad core processing but with a reduced TDP.  This allows me to have the transcoding power and know that I also have the GPU power needed for all htpc needs.

Honestly, with the advent of the haswell chipset I think both manufacturers have tackled all of the problems that htpc users used to encounter.  For HTPC I think AMD still hits a sweet spot in that it keeps the build at a lower budget.  That isn’t always a big concern and wasn’t for me as many of us invest too much $$$ in HT equipment anyways, but it is nice to know you didn’t blow out the budget just to get something that is only marginally better than other lower cost options.

For an htpc build though I think the A8-5600K would be a good choice, but if the extra cpu power (for transcoding) is something that you would need and still want to keep the 65w footprint the A10-5700 trinity or A10-6700 richland are very good options.

oliverredfox

As far as I know (someone correct me if I’m wrong), but the HD 6570 is more powerful than the AMD A8-6500K.  I believe they both have the same level of hardware decompression but the 6570 has:

480 Stream Processing Units
        24 Texture Units
        8 Color ROP Units

while the AMD A8-6500K has:

128 Stream processors   
        8 Texture units
        4 Color ROPs

Unless there was some new hardware decode feature added to 7000 series that I didn’t notice (always possible- I’m a bit out of the game keeping a tight eye on the latest and greatest stuff), you’d be better off sticking with your dedicate card.  Unless you want to shave a few extra watts off the power usage or use a case that won’t hold the card.

jjhtpc

Looking at specs the 6570 has 480 stream processors but is only a 650 Mhz base clock

While the onboards have less stream processors and higher clock:

A10 – 5700

384 stream processors

760 Mhz clock

A8-5600K

256 stream processors

760 Mhz

For most purposes though I think either one will suffice.  My main recommendation was that any APU these days (AMD or Intel haswell) is fully capable of handling all HTPC video purposes without having to have both the heat, noise and power draw of an additional video card.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.