120GB OCZ Vertex 2 2.5″ SATA II MLC SSD $120 Shipped AR

Home Forums Hot Deals 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 2.5″ SATA II MLC SSD $120 Shipped AR

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    skirge01

Although, if you’re talking about a direct replacement, no.  I’m not going to be running WHS on the SSD, even as a client.  The move to a VM is part of a larger move away from WHS and the drive pool, as well as to virtualize at least one other computer in the house.  In the end, I’ll probably have 3 systems running under VM.

oliverredfox

If we’re hitting the $1/GB price range now, what are we going to see in 2 months for Black Friday? =)

Aaron Ledger

We’ll see. BF the past few years has been mediocre for me. Amazon had some decent BD sales throughout BF week last year. BF is a great opportunity for retailers to unload the garbage they can’t move now that it has become more of a mass market phenomena.

jrandeck

CompUSA/Tiger Direct now has these for $109 after rebate if someone wanted one and missed the earlier sales.  It seems everyone is getting rid of their stock on these older SSDs.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1068616&sku=O261-6401

Keep in mind this is a first gen SSD with the Indilinx barefoot controller (apparently tweaked a bit from the original Vertex drives.)   It will certainly be faster than a spindle drive but not quite as fast as the newer drives with Sandforce controllers.   That said, I’m running an original Vertex drive in my laptop right now and it works great.

skirge01

[quote=jrandeck]

CompUSA/Tiger Direct now has these for $109 after rebate if someone wanted one and missed the earlier sales.  It seems everyone is getting rid of their stock on these older SSDs.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1068616&sku=O261-6401

[/quote]

Just to clarify, that’s not the same one as was originally posted.  The one from CompUSA is the Vertex Plus, but the original deal from Newegg was for the Vertex 2.

oliverredfox

[quote=skirge01]

Just to clarify, that’s not the same one as was originally posted.  The one from CompUSA is the Vertex Plus, but the original deal from Newegg was for the Vertex 2.

[/quote]

For anyone that doesn’t follow OCZ stuff.  The Vertex Plus while using the Indilinx controller has a revamped firmware the bumps the capabilities up a bunch.  At some time the firmware boost will be made available for a bunch of other order Vertex drives too.  http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?88696-Arowana-FW-when  Kinda nifty how they gave new life to an older controller.

skirge01

Wait, the Vertex Plus is now faster than a Vertex 2?!?!  The Plus had stats of 160/250, while the 2 had 285/275.  What does the Plus supposedly do now?  That’s messed up if the more expensive drive is now slower!  (Mainly because I just bought the slower one, dammit!)  Yell

Aaron Ledger

Where are you seeing better performance from Vertex Plus? According to OCZ, it is close in read performance, but suffers with write performance in comparison to Vertex 2.

oliverredfox

The plus is still 160/250 making it a bit slower than the Vertex 2.  My post wasn’t to say that Vertex Plus had an update making it faster, it was that it is the 1st to use the new Indilinx controller firmware bringing new life to an old controller.  So anyone who sees Indilinx shouldn’t just assume it’s bad just because the chipset is older, still a lot of juice that they were able to squeeze out of it.

skirge01

[quote=oliverredfox]

The plus is still 160/250 making it a bit slower than the Vertex 2.  My post wasn’t to say that Vertex Plus had an update making it faster, it was that it is the 1st to use the new Indilinx controller firmware bringing new life to an old controller.  So anyone who sees Indilinx shouldn’t just assume it’s bad just because the chipset is older, still a lot of juice that they were able to squeeze out of it.

[/quote]

Ahh… that makes more sense.  Thanks for explaining, as that’s not what I gleaned from your post (obviously).  I feel better now.

oliverredfox

[quote=skirge01]

Ahh… that makes more sense.  Thanks for explaining, as that’s not what I gleaned from your post (obviously).  I feel better now.

[/quote]

That’s what happens when I try to quickly write posts while doing other work. LOL

jrandeck

[quote=skirge01]

[/quote]

Doh!  Sorry about that.   I must have had this deal confused with a different one Embarassed  Still not a bad deal, and based on the comments below, better than I originally thought 🙂

Edit:  I also had the controller wrong, this one has “Indilinx Arowana FTL with HyperQueuing; which significantly increases sequential write speeds and random IOPS over the previous generation FTL”

skirge01

Just received the SSD today, registered online for the rebate, printed out the rebate form I needed to sign, printed out the invoice, peeled off the UPC, cut up the address label, refused the $3 “rush handling offer” and will instead wait the 8-10 weeks for my American Express gift card.  Sadly, I didn’t read the entire rebate prior to ordering, since I hate gift card rebates.  Oh well.  I know to look closer next time and I’ll make damn sure I use the card ASAP, since the $2 monthly “administrative fee” is only waived for the first 6 months.

Aaron Ledger

Unfortunately, almost all rebates these days are of the pre-paid card variety.

As far as the Vertex 2 itself, I’ve been using it in my laptop since Saturday with no problems 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.