LIAN LI PC Q05 CIR MODULE?

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help LIAN LI PC Q05 CIR MODULE?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

What CIR module did you use in your review of the LIAN LI PC Q05?  http://www.missingremote.com/review/lian-li-pc-q05-thin-mini-itx-chassis

You referred to some cobbling together. What exactly did you do and how difficult would it be to replicate?

babgvant

Aaron probably used this one or something similar.

Aaron Ledger

I used the item Andrew linked to. There are two holes on the front of the chassis for LEDs. I decided against using the top power LED in favor of the CIR IR receiver. In order to make it work, I unsoldered the IR receiver from the board itself (3 pins). I then took some wires and connectors and soldered them to the board and IR receiver such that the two could be unlinked as needed. The IR receiver lens portion was superglued to the chassis which has held well. The board was placed inside the chassis and held down with some velcro.

It’s not too difficult if you’ve got the items on-hand and have done some soldering before.

babgvant

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

I unsoldered the IR receiver from the board itself (3 pins). I then took some wires and connectors and soldered them to the board and IR receiver such that the two could be unlinked as needed. [/quote]

That’s a great idea.

pm240sx

Thanks for the info.  I’m planning a very similar build as an extender for family room and wanted to make sure i could handle the modification.  If not i can use the usb ir reciever i have now but i was really looking for the s5 ability that the CIR module would allow me.  Thanks and wish me luck.

pm240sx

Just so that i’m clear I can unsolder the lens portion of the board which is connected via a 3 pin connector and use something like a 3 pin fan extender to extend the lens to the led openning and glue to the led openning.  Is the openning for the led the correct size or did you have to drill the openning bigger?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123323

Aaron Ledger

The chassis opening is smaller than the IR lens but it still works. If the lens were more exposed it would probably have a better off-axis performance. As it is, there’s at least a 45 degree off-axis range in either direction from on-axis.

Something like that fan header would probably work fine. IIRC, I soldered to the board in place of the IR receiver a 3-pin header with 100 mil spacing. I also made a cable using some spare 5-pin 100mil housing (such as that you would use for an internal USB connection or similar).

pm240sx

I just saw this motherboard the other day from ASROCK (new thin mini-itx Z77TM-ITX). http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77TM-ITX/ This should work in the Lian Li PC Q05 case?  Any idea when this might actually be for sale?  I like the UEFI bios over the intel board which doesn’t have this i believe?

Aaron Ledger

That board should work. The DH61AG has UEFI BIOS. Are you perhaps thinking of Intel’s Visual BIOS?

FWIW, the ASROCK is using a Realtek NIC which historically doesn’t have such a good reputation though maybe they’ve now fixed all the bugs in Rev. E!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.