help me justify making an htpc

Home Forums Beginner General Questions help me justify making an htpc

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

So I just realized that like many others, I probably can cut the cable cord and buy streaming services. (I saw Nick jr shows are available on amazon, which confirmed I can get rid of cable without a mutiny in my home.) I’ll be able to access them through apps on the new TV I’m about to buy. So I won’t need to store shows on an htpc, as the shows I want to watch will be stored on the cloud. The TV is DNLA compliant, so I’ll be able to access my music and photos, which are on a NAS. As it is, I can play my music through my laptops and stream it from the NAS to my stereo. So what other functions would building an htpc get me? I really want to build one, as I’ve got the bug and done lots of research, spec’d it all out. I guess it would allow me to record OTA shows that I can’t get streamed. Any other thoughts? I gotta justify this to the wife, and I already had to work hard to get her on board for buying a new TV.

Aaron Ledger

While you will be able to utilize the TV’s DLNA capabilities, the user interface may not be friendly or appealing (make sure to try it out before you purchase with the intent that it will be your primary experience). Building an an HTPC can result in a richer, more usable and integrated experience than what you have set forth. You will have the capability of adding OTA and/or cable tuners for DVR capability in addition to accessing photos, music, movies and video from a single interface. Why not utilize one of your existing PCs to get a feel for it before building a system?

millpub

Aaron really has the best bit of advice. Use one of your current PCs, even if just for a couple of days, as you would an HTPC. The biggest advantage of an HTPC is that there is no content that it cannot be tweaked to play, and no content provider that doesn’t offer something online that a PC can reach. The down side is that in most cases, accessing content online on a PC means doing so through the browser, forgoing the curated app experience of a smart TV or over-the-top box.  Amazon Prime Video is a good example of this. On devices that Amazon supports, Amazon Prime Video is an app, controlled entirely by a remote control. On a PC, it means going through your browser which in turn means a keyboard and mouse (or similar input system). The PC is definitely clunkier in that example. One other advantage of a PC is access to a wider range of content and service, such as free Hulu. Yes, there is still Hulu Plus on the PC if you want more than what they offer for free, but on every device I can think of, it’s Hulu Plus or bust. Or perhaps you prefer cruising YouTube. Devices that support YouTube are typically more limited in what kind of access they provide and the search capabilities compared to using the site directly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.