Hauppauge Colossus

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Hauppauge Colossus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’m thinking about finally getting an Hauppauge Colossus as I’ve wanted one for years. I know these things have had issues but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations on these. I will be using it to record satellite. I think one issue used to be with changing resolutions. I have my box set to “Native” so the resolution changes depending on channel. But if the Colossus will work better I can set it to always output 1080i. Does anyone have any experience with the Colossus?

babgvant

FWIW, I’d probably buy something newer. AFAIK, they never fixed the driver issues with Colossus.

I reviewed it for Anandtech back in 2011, and Aaron reviewed it for Missing Remote.

htpc_user

What’s newer than the Colossus, is internal, records in 720p or 1080i from component, and works in Media Center?

Mike Garcen

i use the good old Hauppauge HD-PVR after having a TERRIBLE time with the Avermedia DVR which would frequently lose the signal. The Hauppauge has no stability issues, however, changing channels is a PAINFUL experience. If i know i’m not going to record anything, i actually will jump over to my DirecTV native box to channel change between sporting events.

htpc_user

I manually change the channel on my satellite box all the time. Are the newer Hauppauge boxes that are said to be used for recording video games also compatible with TV sources? Meaning, will they work with Media Center?

Mike Garcen

[quote=htpc_user]

I manually change the channel on my satellite box all the time. Are the newer Hauppauge boxes that are said to be used for recording video games also compatible with TV sources? Meaning, will they work with Media Center?

[/quote]

No, dissapointing but they are not. For whatever reason, who knows why.

Ganjagadget

I have one brand new in the box that I never used. I will sell it for $75 shipped USPS priority mail. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.