Copy DVD’s

Home Forums Beginner General Questions Copy DVD’s

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

OK so years ago I was using DVD Decrypter along with Handbrake to copy my DVD’s to my HDD in MKV format (No extenders, is this the best format?). I didn’t really get far through my DVD collection and want to finally get them all copied.

What do you guys now suggest, or should I just stick with the software I was using before?

Do any of you bother to copy Blu Ray disks, I know there are HUGE files.

Mike Garcen

what is your objective? strictly to backup 1-for-1? or are you looking to minimize the size of DVDs? Tough to go wrong with AnyDVD HD which can rip DVD & Blu-rays in folder or ISO format. I have a few BD’s ripped, but the size makes me definitely question it before i do so. you have to really like a movie to invest 30gb 

Aaron Ledger

I use AnyDVD HD to store all of my BDs on my server.

skirge01

I use AnyDVD HD and Another EAC3toGUI to make my MKVs of Blu-rays.  The handful that I’ve ripped average about 18GB.  I only take the movie, the HD audio (if available), and both the forced and full subtitles.  It’s still quite tedious to do this, unfortunately, however.

Aaron Ledger

…which is why I like the lazy route of BDMV or ISO rips. Storage is (was and will be again) cheap (unless you are Michael and have to expand a RAID array to get a new controller Tongue Out).

mikinho

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

…which is why I like the lazy route of BDMV or ISO rips. Storage is (was and will be again) cheap (unless you are Michael and have to expand a RAID array to get a new controller Tongue Out).

[/quote]

Tis true 🙁

But I do 1:1 copies straight to BDMV and leave it as is.

thomtom

Should have mentioned this in the first place, I would like to drop the size of the vids when copying them if it does not also mean a big loss of quality (I’m quite keen on getting a good image result). After experimenting with DVD Decrypter and Handbrake I seem to have some pretty bad combing on motion, not sure if this is just the codec/software setup or the actual video though.

Interesting info about size of BD once copied to HDD. I currently have 2TB of space on a network storage box, I think I will look at working my way though the DVD’s first :-).

skirge01

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

[/quote]

True, but, in my mind, that’s still no reason to waste such space.  We’re talking up to 20+GB being saved per rip.  Rip 100 Blu-rays and you could have potentially “wasted” 2TB on menus, forced trailers and legal threats, interviews, commentary and other extras you’ll never watch.  I used to want the convenience of a quick rip, but realized how quickly it became so utterly wasteful.

Aaron Ledger

I agree that I waste space, but for me, the equation is wasted space vs. my time = my time wins.

mikinho

[quote=skirge01]

True, but, in my mind, that’s still no reason to waste such space.  We’re talking up to 20+GB being saved per rip.  Rip 100 Blu-rays and you could have potentially “wasted” 2TB on menus, forced trailers and legal threats, interviews, commentary and other extras you’ll never watch.  I used to want the convenience of a quick rip, but realized how quickly it became so utterly wasteful.

[/quote]

I tried the ripping methods but found “lossless” rips only saved a few GBs unless the discs were loaded with extra.  I generally keep all the audio tracks though as I needed HD Audio, DTS, stereo, etc for different setups around the house.  I also enjoy movies in their native language and watch a lot of foreign films so I wasn’t removing any other language audio or subtitles streams (any German or Brazilian film I prefer no subtitles in native language but my wife needs them; she on the other hand prefers Spanish or French speaking film but I need the subtitles).

I also haven’t found a ripping method that is 100% automated and flawless.  I would rather invest in more drives than take waste time per disc.  I just stick the Blu-ray in the drive and it ejects when done.  I do have it remove digital copies and PS3 junk though.

thomtom

I am going to have a play around with AnyDVD and see how I get on. I don’t think I will bother spending the time with the Blu Rays yet though.

Thanks for your input. I will update here to let you know how I find AnyDVD.

htpc_user

[quote=skirge01]

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I use DVDFab HD, and I rip only the “Main Movie” of the bluray to the server.  That saves several GB’s.  If I wanted to watch extras I’d just put the disc in.  I ripped Avatar to the server Saturday, and even though it was only the movie it was still about 40gb.

captain_video

For Blu-Rays, I use AnyDVD HD to rip to iso and then strip out the extras using Clown_BD.  This does, indeed, save a lot of space if the movie has multiple versions or lots of extras.  Lately, it seems like I’m only saving 2-3 GB per rip as many titles aren’t being bogged down with extras.  I store all of my ripped BD’s on a 20 TB unRAID server.  I rip DVDs in folder format and then run them through DVDFab Decrypter to strip out the extras.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.