7MC and Hyper-V?

Home Forums Windows Media Center 7MC and Hyper-V?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I have read about people running 7MC great in a VM, Yet I can not find any good guides on how they did it and the snags to avoid?

I have it runnig kinda in a hyper-v vm but am stuck on the 3D virtual graphics engine needed to view DVD Rips from an extender, and I believe make network stored recordings etc..

If anyone knows of any I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Skybolt

Skybolt

Really? No one here has put 7MC into a Hyper-V VM?

mikinho

Really just following normal Hyper-V best practices is enough.  If you need Live TV then you’ll need http://www.missingremote.com/dca-bypass as well.

You don’t need 3D virtual graphics for extender usage.  The best thing is to have a dedicated “server-grade” (i.e. Intel PCIe) NIC for the host and for the VM.

For a recording drive I had the best results with a dedicated drive as well instead of a VHD.

Skybolt

Thanks for the reply.

I tried using “OverrideDigitalCableAdvisor” and have that working, but I still get video driver/card errors on the client. As the DCA test fails on video drivers. I am using an xbox 360 as an extender and cannot watch live “CopyOnce” flagged tv on the extender.

I read the remoteFX can cure this? I don’t need to or want to watch live tv on the “Server” only record HBO etc. type shows.

I have to servers I have tried this on:

1st: EVGA 703i MB/Q9400 cpu. w/8gb ram

2nd: P7Q57 MB/ i5 661 cpu. w/16gb ram

All other VM’s work great, just not 7MC…

Thanks,

Skybolt

mikinho

[quote=Skybolt]

I tried using “OverrideDigitalCableAdvisor” and have that working, but I still get video driver/card errors on the client. As the DCA test fails on video drivers. I am using an xbox 360 as an extender and cannot watch live “CopyOnce” flagged tv on the extender.

[/quote]

Odd. The DCA doesn’t actually matter in that respect as long as PlayReady installs properly. I’ll setup on my server (I’ll disable RemoteFx first)

[quote=Skybolt]

I read the remoteFX can cure this? I don’t need to or want to watch live tv on the “Server” only record HBO etc. type shows. 

[/quote]

Yes w/ RemoteFx you can even watch TV through RDP. But long-term a RemoteFx RDS setup requires a RDS license so most people won’t pay for that.  But it is enough for you to setup and get past that.

Just make sure to remove the 3D Video Graphics in the VM Hyper-V settings before disabling RemoteFx.

Skybolt

Well, your right. I definetly need a server grade NIC. I reinstalled 7MC and gave it a dedicated recording drive. That got PlayReady to instal properly. I am using an HSHR Prime and some channels are “Weak”, all pixelated, while others play perfectly.

I was under the impression that having RemoteFX installed it would give me the ability to play ripped DVD’s through Media Browser on my xbox 360. As I still get video file errors on the xbox when trying to play the Video_TS style files.

This is just a test bed for me as I prove out 7MC, switching back to MC from SageTv, waiting for the Echo to be released. I guess at that point I will have to upgrade the server a bit to suppor 7MC.

Thanks for your reply’s. This has been a great learning experience, and your right on the licensing issue for RemoteFX now I probably need to reinstall 2008 R2 as a result of this experiment.

-Skybolt

Skybolt

Just a follow up post – I finally got 7MC working like a charm in a VM. And has been for ~month now.

I dedicated a HD as a recording drive to the VM along with a server grade network card on it’s own virtual lan.

DCA has to be installed in order to use any cable card setup. 

I am currently using hte 360 as an extender and for live/recorded tv it works just fine. Now it’s up to Ceton and the Echo to pull it all back together for offline content and I won’t miss Sage that much …

This was an interesting learning experience for me, getting 7MC to play smoothly and work without a hitch utilizing a 360 as an extender. I highly recomend running MC in a VM, it gives you a dedicated “server” which can be backed up in < 10 min.

foldog22

I am in a similar situation and I am really starting to pull my hair out! Here is what I have.

Ceton InfiniTV 4, HW Version 5124, firmware version 1.1.7.2

Intel NIC (82579V) Integrated

Intel NIC (Gig CT Desktop Adapter) PCIE

Server 2008 R2 w/ Hyper V Installed

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 Virtual Machine

Everything appears fine on the server looking at the diagnostics. 

I set up the tuners just fine on the VM but I get the “Files needed to diplay video are not installed or are not working correctly”. 

I have the Ceton on the host bridged with the virtual NIC which is tied to the 82579V NIC although I have tried with the Intel CT as well with the same result. I even tried on my Xbox as an extender off the virtual machine and that didn’t work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

foldog22

Ok, figured out my issue. It was I wasn’t enabling bridging for the ceton in Device manager, Advanced. I tried this several times and each time it would crash my host. I thought I had read this step wasn’t need any longer in recent firmware releases, but I was wrong. The crash issues was solved by moving the Ceton to a different PCIe slot. I was using one of the small slots, I moved it to an x8 slot and it worked when I set the bridging. 

ThePaladinTech

SkyBolt – Wondering if you can clarify how you got this working without stutters…  Did you end up doing what is posted here: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/116/t/101836.aspx

or did you come up with something better?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.