Should the 360 Support Live OTA HD from VMC via HDTuner

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Should the 360 Support Live OTA HD from VMC via HDTuner

I didn't have any trouble with recorded or analog tv but when I tune to a HD channel I get the TV tuner lost signal error.

Is this supported?

jennyfur's picture

What tuner are you using?

7MC - Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - Avermedia M780 - Dvico Fusion HDTV7 - Terk HDTVa - Xbox 360 S - Logitech Harmony 650 - Panasonic V10 - Onkyo HT-RC160

I connected "Fred" to Mrs. Sheen's HTPC and watched Live TV - both OTA ATSC and analog Cable just the other day.  But Mrs. Sheen uses FusionHDTV tuners for ATSC...    (Heck, I could have even watched her "Little People, Big World" recordings (if I wanted to hurl!) - Naw, I need more Rock Band 2 practice...)

That "extender" stuff is pretty cool though...

Dude...  How old IS this FusionHDTV3 ???

jennyfur's picture

Yeah, I'd say 90% of the TV I watch is live OTA ATSC through my 360 (my VMC machine has an m780). I'm really only recording things if I know I won't be home to watch them, which isn't that often since there's not really that many shows I care about in the first place.

7MC - Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - Avermedia M780 - Dvico Fusion HDTV7 - Terk HDTVa - Xbox 360 S - Logitech Harmony 650 - Panasonic V10 - Onkyo HT-RC160

Ohhhh...  We record everything we watch...  Not to save it for posterity, to be able to timeshift it...  Niether Mrs. Sheen nor I can stand to watch KomerCi4ls any more.  We usually start watching about 20 minutes after it actually starts...

jennyfur's picture

cgsheen wrote:

Ohhhh...  We record everything we watch...  Not to save it for posterity, to be able to timeshift it...  Niether Mrs. Sheen nor I can stand to watch KomerCi4ls any more.   We usually start watching about 20 minutes after it actually starts...

OK, I'll admit to doing that on occasion too. All of the shows I watch live I also have set to record in case I feel like timeshifting out the commercials, even though I usually don't.

It was the HDHomerun tuners giving me a problem.
I see the m780 mentioned. Does Vista handle the hybrid tuners well?
Does it improved SD video over the Haup 500s?

Meester.Rip wrote:

I see the m780 mentioned. Does Vista handle the hybrid tuners well?

I don't know about Vista & Hybrid tuners.  The M780 is a Combo tuner.  It has seperate tuners for analog and ATSC.  I also don't have experience with the PVR-500 but I think my M780's analog side is as good or better than my PVR-150. 

Then again, analog SUCKS...  I rarely watch anything SD - unless I can't get it any other way.

jennyfur's picture

cgsheen wrote:

I also don't have experience with the PVR-500 but I think my M780's analog side is as good or better than my PVR-150. 

I'll agree with that statement. I can't compare it to my PVR-250 as well since it was uninstalled at the time.

Well after a fresh install I have all tuners working and haven't had a loss of signal issue. I do miss one feature from the TV pack though and that is that it put all my HD channels down where they need to be in the guide. ie. instead of being channel 1081 it would be 24.2 and usually get put next to its analog partner. ie ABC, ABC-DT. I am jsut afraid the TV pack is what caused me issues. If I was positive on how to restore a vista backup I would try the TV pack again. If I don't get any issues with a loss of signal on the HDHR over the next few weeks I might look at getting another one.

Topic locked
Website design by Yammm Software