The Daily Button: Novemver 03, 2008

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Daily Button: Novemver 03, 2008

Original Article Link

Belive it or not Geek Squad is an ISF Certified company. So they do indeed have professionals somewhere that could properly calibrate TVs.

The marketing tactics of Best Buy corporate are just awful though, what a bunch of BS setting an HD versus SD channel and claiming it's because of the calibration.

Mike Garcen's picture

"Would you watch a show just because it is in HD? Yah, guilty as charged here. S&V has a list of shows that look good in HD and some actually fulfill in the creative department."

Pretty sure i never watched basically all Animal Planet & Discovery Channel until i got HD Smile *dips head in shame*

Mike Garcen (shadymg) MissingRemote Editor-in-Chief Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP (formerly Media Center MVP) Twitter @mikegarcen MissingRemote on Facebook

Mike Garcen's picture

Matt wrote:

Original Article Link
Belive it or not Geek Squad is an ISF Certified company. So they do indeed have professionals somewhere that could properly calibrate TVs.

The marketing tactics of Best Buy corporate are just awful though, what a bunch of BS setting an HD versus SD channel and claiming it's because of the calibration.

Geek Squad might be certified, but i would bet my lunch that 99% of the Geek Squad employees couldn't even tell you what ISF even stands for  Oups

Mike Garcen (shadymg) MissingRemote Editor-in-Chief Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP (formerly Media Center MVP) Twitter @mikegarcen MissingRemote on Facebook

http://consumerist.com/5074930/best-buy-uses-tricks-to-sell-calibration-...

At least they could have used the same channel downrezzed with a composite connection.  That's what I would have done.   >:D

shadymg wrote:

Matt wrote:

Original Article Link

Geek Squad might be certified, but i would bet my lunch that 99% of the Geek Squad employees couldn't even tell you what ISF even stands for  Oups

I bought an SATA hard drive the other year, but I wasn't sure the power supply had a power connector for SATA.  So I wanted to know if I could use a regular molex connector instead of the SATA power, and the Geek Squad person looked at it and said that I couldn't...even though it had a connection for a molex connector.  I took it home and it worked fine.  That's the type of thing they should know for sure.

Mike Garcen's picture

i used to work at best buy wayyyy back in the day, and the PC Techs were actually the only employees that actually KNEW about what they were talking about, that's why they were some of the highest paid non-managers (i was one of them Tongue). But since the whole geek squad, salaries have gone down as they need to staff more, and so too has reputation...but they're still making a whole lotta money from people that simply don't know better

Mhm, the basic Geek Squad guys are now internal hires, moved up from floor sales shills. However I'm shocked at the actual requirements for the higher levels of Geek Squad. To move up you actually should be A+ certified, and even MSCE. In the home theater side, you need to be CEDIA, and low voltage certified, etc.

http://www.geeksquad.com/services/content.aspx?id=1865&menu_id=485

But it makes me wonder who and where those people are, since all I hear about are the retards who must be the lowest in the Geek Squad food chain.

If any one knows more let me know, Geek Squad might be a temporary part-time job in my future while I finish school.

Mike Garcen's picture

Dude, don't worry about the A+ certification, they "said" that even back for the PC Techs back in the day, but i sure don't have A+ and i knew more than most Smile so it wasn't a problem. Then again, as you hinted, it helped that i had started on the sales floor.

Oh I know, I'd just like to do it, so I can say I have it. Never mind that I have a good 10+ years experience doing this stuff on my own.

It sounds interesting for maybe a month.  After that I am afraid I would get bored of it and move on. 

However, I've always had a drive to start my own technology install company.  I've always enjoyed helping people out since my first real job installing Ethernet cards in Sororities.  I guess there is just something about being the only guy in the house followed around by barely dressed college girls yelling "do me next!" 

Matt wrote:

Oh I know, I'd just like to do it, so I can say I have it. Never mind that I have a good 10+ years experience doing this stuff on my own.

From the hiring perspective, people that "just like to do it" should be the best candidates.  The people to worry about are the ones with certifications that want nothing to do with computers in their personal life.

Blue wrote:

Matt wrote:

From the hiring perspective, people that "just like to do it" should be the best candidates.  The people to worry about are the ones with certifications that want nothing to do with computers in their personal life.

Yep, yep. That's my experience too. I dunno how many brain dead guys I've come across who got the crash course in being an MSCE or something at some "Western Career College" kind of thing and were done and out in 18 months, but have absolutely no real world experience and couldn't actually solve problems that arise in the field.

autoboy wrote:

It sounds interesting for maybe a month.  After that I am afraid I would get bored of it and move on. 

However, I've always had a drive to start my own technology install company.  I've always enjoyed helping people out since my first real job installing Ethernet cards in Sororities.  I guess there is just something about being the only guy in the house followed around by barely dressed college girls yelling "do me next!" 

Mhm I hear that, I stopped my consulting about 3 years ago for that reason, and others, not the least of which was going to back to school to finish my BA.

So I don't relish going back to this as a day-to-day job, but then I also did retail for 5 years to make ends meet, and was good for being in school the last few years. So I dunno which is the lesser of two evils.

LowTech's picture

Here lately every day I check the news and it seems that some company has filed for bankruptcy or some large corporation is laying off 4 to 5K folks here and another is “trimming” 12% of its workforce there.  It’s a good bet that the majority of these folks who have been “trimmed” will find work elsewhere at a lower pay scale than they had before.  Obviously with less moolah coming in every month PC (and other consumer electronics) sales will slow and these folks will be looking to prolong the life of their current PCs. 

Bearing that notion in mind coupled with my belief that this whole economic problem we have hasn’t yet fully manifested itself yet I foresee an increased demand for geek squaders and their ilk.  From my suburban home there are five (two of which are relatively new) “mom and pop” PC fix-it joints, that I know of, within a 10 minute or less drive.  Upgrading and repairing PCs may not make someone the next Bill Gates but I’ll bet that the work is going to be steady for the near-term.

Login or register to post comments
Website design by Yammm Software