Avermedia M780 analog woes

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Avermedia M780 analog woes

This seems like as good a place as any to post my question.  I recently purchased this M780 tuner card only to be disappointed by the analog performance.  The noise filtering is to strong and will cause ghosting on stations that are to noisy.
I haven't been able to find any utility to turn the noise filtering down or completely off.  If anyone has any advice or suggestions please help me.  BTW here are my full system specs
Sempron 2.11GHz
MSI micro-atx board Nvidia 6100 chipset
2GB Ram
1TB hdd space
Radeon 2400HD (DVI-HDMI connection to tv)
LG 32" LCD HDTV 720p
Media Center Remote
Vista Media Center
I did try the Avermedia Center but couldn't really find any options to fine tune the filtering, I did make sure to turn off noise-filtering on my television though and that helped my initial problems.  Still the card is doing way to much NR and this makes the image have a very plastic look to it and can cause sever ghosting at times.

That's interesting because the card AFAIK doesn't have any noise reduction circuitry or algorithims in the drivers. I would point the finger at the Radeon, ATI has video noise reduction on by default.

You were spot on Matt.  I had done all this reading, turned off noise filtering on my TV and for some reason overlooked my radeon card.  I installed the Catalyst control center last night before bed, turned off noise reduction (located under AVIVO section) and my analog signal is greatly improved. 
Take note for future users of this card if you feel noise reduction is two strong check your video card and television settings.

I'm extremely pleased with the results of this card now, on both sides of the fence (atsc/ntsc).

jennyfur's picture

Well that clears things up... I hadn't responded to this thread (I have an M780 as well) because I wasn't experiencing this problem and had no idea what could be the cause.

... but I've got an nVidia graphics card.  Wink

7MC - Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - Avermedia M780 - Dvico Fusion HDTV7 - Terk HDTVa - Xbox 360 S - Logitech Harmony 650 - Panasonic V10 - Onkyo HT-RC160

jennyfur wrote:

Well that clears things up... I hadn't responded to this thread (I have an M780 as well) because I wasn't experiencing this problem and had no idea what could be the cause.

... but I've got an nVidia graphics card.  Wink

Same here, mine's working very well on our "old" 690G motherboard (and it does have an ATi GPU)...

Dude...  How old IS this FusionHDTV3 ???

Glad it was a simple fix Smile

Same here, I really didn't want to go through the mess of exchanging cards or anything.  As far as having an ATi card, it was here locally and cheap and hdcp compliant.  So I was happy with that, to bad they didn't carry Nvidia cards when I was shopping around.  (I try to support local stores as best I can).  I run Nvidia in my main rig and love using them.

Topic locked
Website design by Yammm Software