I finally found the site after HTPCnews went under. Anyway, I've been using Windows XP (Home Edition) & Meedio for a couple of years now as my front end & I think that it's showing its age. So between that & the fact that it's probably time for a fresh install, I'm thinking about switching to MCE XP. Please don't suggest going to Vista because of the following reasons:
* I already own a license for MCE XP
* My hardware would probably be brought to its knees by Vista, I would probably need to do a complete ground-up rebuild to support it which I'm not willing to do right now
* I don't have time right now to learn Vista & how to make it work with my existing network (making it talk to the media server)
* I have no real need at this point in time
Right now, all I'm using the HTPC for is dvd playback (my entire library is ripped to my media server), weather feeds, some light internet browsing, & a couple of other small things. I don't use it for music or tv at all. So here are my questions:
1. I use Powerstrip to define custom resolutions for my tv since I don't have a dvi connection (I'm using vga - > rgbhv breakout cable to display on my Mits). It's worked flawlessly under XP Home, any foreseen problems with this under MCE?
2. I use TheaterTek as my dvd player of choice. I don't really want to change because I'm used to the interface & it works well with Powerstrip. Will this be a problem in MCE? Am I forced to use WMP?
3. Any recommendations on a good remote setup? I use a Hometheater Master remote that is teachable & I'd end up making it learn the commands, but one of the advantages that I can see with MCE would be the remote support. Any comments on this?
4. How about a compact keyboard? I have a Liteon Airboard that I've been using, but it's dying a slow death & needs to be replaced.
5. Any other difficulties that any of you can see with the switch?
Thanks in advance!