My Movies for TV shows?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
My Movies for TV shows?

I'm wondering how My Movies does with ripped DVDs of TV show seasons. I seem to find much about it either here on MR or at the MM site. I'm starting to more seriously consider ripping all the TV on DVD my fiancee and I have accumulated over the years so we can get at any episode we'd like on demand.

If not My Movies then what might be a better choice for Win 7 Media Center?

Offline
Joined: 1 Jan 2007

Maybe MediaBrowser can be helpful? I use it for TV shows, but I guess that depends on how you rip the shows. If you rip each episode as a single file, then MediaBrowser is absolutely the right choice. I don't know if it can handle and categorise a complete DVD image. MediaBrowser can be found at http://www.mediabrowser.tv/

Offline
Joined: 30 Sep 2006

After much searching I find it really odd that none of the media front ends that I can find actually support TV shows on DVD. TV shows must be ripped and converted into a file like AVI or MKV with one per show, etc.

Offline
Joined: 29 Nov 2006

I would really like to know if Media Browser works for you.  Owning every Star Trek episode it would be fantastic if I could get a synopsis for each like My Movies does.

Please post how it goes and any special set-ups that need to be done.

Nothing is more dangerous than a person who's title exceeds their intelect.

Offline
Joined: 3 Oct 2006

Well I use MyMovies. It is a bit of a pain. For DVDs liek the friends series. I have a folder structure like this
dvd\friends\season1\disc 1
dvd\friends\season1\disc 2

The problem is MM instally adds each one so I have to go back in and delete the second one and then use the discs submenu and add each disc individually. Once you have done it a couple time it is pretty easy.

Offline
Joined: 29 Nov 2006

I was reading their online help & wiki files...  I think I might give it a whirl tonight.

Nothing is more dangerous than a person who's title exceeds their intelect.

Offline
Joined: 30 Sep 2006

phoneguyinpgh wrote:

I would really like to know if Media Browser works for you.  Owning every Star Trek episode it would be fantastic if I could get a synopsis for each like My Movies does.

Please post how it goes and any special set-ups that need to be done.

I tried it and it didn't seem to work the way I wanted to (and I would have had to use Daemon Tools rather then Virtual CloneDrive). Media Browser says it only does TV shows when it is re-encoded into individual files. It won't go pull the metadata, etc. if it is in any other form.

I know Brian has said a more proper TV Show method is coming sometime to MyMovies, but it's a ways off.

Trek is one of the reasons why I want to do this too Smile

phoneguyinpgh wrote:

I was reading their online help & wiki files...   I think I might give it a whirl tonight.

Which program are you refering to?

Offline
Joined: 3 Feb 2007

Meester.Rip wrote:

Well I use MyMovies. It is a bit of a pain. For DVDs liek the friends series. I have a folder structure like this
dvd\friends\season1\disc 1
dvd\friends\season1\disc 2

The problem is MM instally adds each one so I have to go back in and delete the second one and then use the discs submenu and add each disc individually. Once you have done it a couple time it is pretty easy.

I do it the same way. We have, for example, all 10 seasons of Friends ripped to our server. Not sure why this method wouldn't work for you, Matt?

Offline
Joined: 30 Sep 2006

Will My Movies list the episodes on each disc in the description/metadata? When I did a test rip over the weekend it treated it a monolithic entity with only a generic description of the show.

Offline
Joined: 29 Nov 2006

Matt wrote:

phoneguyinpgh wrote:

I would really like to know if Media Browser works for you.  Owning every Star Trek episode it would be fantastic if I could get a synopsis for each like My Movies does.

Please post how it goes and any special set-ups that need to be done.

I tried it and it didn't seem to work the way I wanted to (and I would have had to use Daemon Tools rather then Virtual CloneDrive). Media Browser says it only does TV shows when it is re-encoded into individual files. It won't go pull the metadata, etc. if it is in any other form.

I know Brian has said a more proper TV Show method is coming sometime to MyMovies, but it's a ways off.

Trek is one of the reasons why I want to do this too Smile

phoneguyinpgh wrote:

I was reading their online help & wiki files...   I think I might give it a whirl tonight.

Which program are you refering to?

Matt,
I was referring to Media Browser.
I got it working for the most part w/ all of my Star Trek every series.  Battlestar Galactica I'm having some problems with for the specials they had like Razor and The Plan.  they're listed at http://thetvdb.com/ but I can't seem to get the directory structure/file name correct so that Media Browser will pull in the data for it.  Follow the support/wiki directions for making the directory structure, \TV shows\show title\season #\episode# episode title  The file naming for the episode # can take 1 of 3 forms.   I found that the Sx## worked best for me, where S=the season #, x=a delimiter, ##=the episode #.  I only needed to do this for Band of Bothers and From the Earth to the Moon, The other series I just had the episode # leading the title and it worked fine.
Media Browser works for the following series; all Star Trek series, Battlestar Galactica both the original 1978 and remakes 2003, Band of Bothers, From the Earth to the Moon and a few Space 1999 episodes and the Caprica pilot.  Oh yeah and most all of my movies too.

I'm gonna dig through the wiki and forums to see if I can figure out anything else.

Nothing is more dangerous than a person who's title exceeds their intelect.

Offline
Joined: 30 Sep 2006

Yes but you seem to be talking about individual episodes that were ripped and then encoded into their own files. I'm just hoping to leave the DVDs they way they are.

Offline
Joined: 29 Nov 2006

Ahhh.....  yes that's exactly what I did.  I didn't want to use up space for menus or alternate sound tracks or subtitles, so under each series I have however many seasons and the episodes are all individual *.mpg files with no compression.

Nothing is more dangerous than a person who's title exceeds their intelect.

Login or register to post comments
Website design by Yammm Software
Powered by Drupal