Guide: Installing Mythdora 10.21

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
LowTech's picture
Guide: Installing Mythdora 10.21

Original Article Link

Nice write up Lothar. 

It's really something to see how far Linus distros have come in just two or three years especially in the shift to more and more GUI instructions vs the command line interface.  This makes using Linux much more intuitive than ever before and should entice more folks to give the various Linux flavors a try and, after all, you can't beat the price of the software.

Thanks LowTech.  That's basically what I was going for with this guide. 

In case anyone is interested, I chose to start with Mythdora over the other Mythtv-based distros because I've done most of my work with Fedora so it's what I'm most familiar with.  In the not too distant future I will do the same thing again with Mythbuntu and LinHES and then go into the actual configuration of Mythtv as well.

Don't look for those guides immediately though because I've got a couple of reviews headed your way first!

HTPC addict

Nice writeup.  I have completely given up on Windows Media Center (although with the relaxed restrictions in CableCard, have considered giving it another shot.  I am currently tuning Sage, and am building a Linux server to play with it on that platform.  An advantage Sage has is it's extenders.  With these new netops out, myth is intriguing once again.  Has anything been done to make setup of displays like dlp projectors less painfully?  Manual modelines can be so intimidating.

I can't say that I have a projector to test with but newer Linux operating systems that use newer video drivers (both AMD and Nvidia) seem to do a much better job of detecting the correct display alignment and I believe that both make fine tuning easy but I can't say that I've needed to use that feature much myself.  In my setup the resolution and position were auto-detected properly and I didn't need to do any adjustments.

HTPC addict

Login or register to post comments
Website design by Yammm Software