MythTV Reloaded - Day 6
I am happy to say that after a couple of hours of Googling and poking at my MythTV server, I've fixed my issues causing my Windows MythTV install to not connect to my backend. It turns out that it was a firewall issue no the backend after all. When I configured the backend originally I had opened up the firewall to allow access to the MythTV specific ports (6543 and 6544) but it turns out that MySQL uses its own port (3306). Once I opened that one up I was able to connect to my backend. This wasn't an issue for me in the past because all of the installation instructions for MythTV said that to simplify setup you should disable the firewall and SELinux. Current OSes do not have that option anymore during install so when I did the backend this time I tried for higher security by leaving the firewall and SELinux enabled. Obviously it caused me some small problems but I feel better knowing that I have this protection while my server is hooked up to the network. Expect a short guide on necessary firewall ports once this update process is finished.
In other news, I was also able to take the Windows installer for MythTV that was created as part of my build process and install it on my wife's laptop. Her system is also able to access the backend after a quick test. Things are now back on track. For now I have set the server back to 0.21 so that we can use it today and tomorrow but I think I'm ready to do a full system changeover tomorrow night. That'll be the moment of truth. We'll see how much I've missed at that point. I'm sure there's something.